Monday, October 31, 2011

And So I'm Back, From Outer Space...

I'm going to cheat a bit here. I realised after reading a few blogs that some started with a bit of an introduction to themselves and what they are actually doing in this vast, messy world some call the 'blogosphere'. So, I'm going to change the date on this entry to make it appear as the first of this blog. I'll set it to Halloween, just for fun.

Okay, that done, time to introduce myself.
I'm Raechel. 

I am a young student, currently studying a Bachelor of New Media Arts at James Cook University in Queensland, Australia. I love art and writing and I am hoping to get my novel, Sparks, off the ground sometime soon. It is my opinion that I spend way too much time on the computer. I like to read full sized novels in one sitting and I can spend whole days playing the Sims 2 and Minecraft. I love science fiction shows, namely Fringe and Doctor Who. I am not ashamed to say that I am a die hard Whovian fangirl. My greatest acheivement to date in this respect, is that my college dorm door is decorated to look like the TARDIS.

People tell me I'm slightly mad. I accept these compliments with bows. It is my opinion that normal people are rather dull. When you try to conform, you lose who you really are, or who you really can be. So, I be myself. Granted, it's very easy to be myself. I am lucky in many, many ways. I have a loving, generous family, a sharp mind, a good waistline and if I might says so, fair looks. I am at the beginning of my life really. I have not yet had any major emotional crises, achievements or failures. So, expect this blog to get interesting as I write about my life and these potential successes and disasters. And my writing. Don't forget the writing. 
I must say I love writing. I get a thrill when writing. I get to play with characters that I've pulled from nothing. I get to send them on adventures, succeed, fail, hurt, love. I would liken it to being like a god, but that's a bit egotistical. I think it's more like a link back to my childhood, where I'd set up my Barbie doll house so perfectly, then give my Barbies life. And then I'd steal my brother's Action Man, have Barbie invite him over for a plastic meal, a drive in the Barbie (R) Convertible, then take him up the dollhouse stairs, for some, uh... coffee. Yes. Coffee. *giggle* 
Anyway. Giving characters stories is fun, yes. But I also like to think about how people will read my stories. I want to take them on adventures too. I want to see their eyes light up as they read the plots I first dragged kicking and grumbling onto the page, then spent hours polishing, cleaning and re-reading. I want people to enjoy my writing and get lost in the stories like I do.

So, hopefully, that's what this blog will acheive. It will tell a journey of my life and my writing.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sling some ink